VLC Media player- Simple, powerful and Best Multi-format player
Introduction to VLC Media Player
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player that supports most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols. It is a project initially started as an academic project at a university with the intention of developing a general purpose media player that could handle streamed audio and video content. Today, the development and maintenance of VLC media player is done by volunteers from all over the world and their contributions are coordinated by VideoLAN organization.
VLC is a good alternative to windows media player. It offers new and advanced features and it works well across different platforms (highly portable). There are various versions of VLC available for windows, Linux and Macintosh operating systems.
What makes VLC Media Player different?
VLC has been and is the default media player in most computers. It stands above the other media players because of its rich features and ability to open play an amazing number of different formats. The software has an excellent menu based user interface that gives end users the peace of working. Command buttons are precisely placed at the lower end of the screen as shown on the screenshot below.
Also, developers of this media player have ensured that it is easy to use. They have included all the basic features that average users require to get started. Buttons for pause, resume, previous, and next playlist among others are clearly placed.
Besides that, VLC media player is a self contained player. This means that once you download and install it, you don’t need other additional codecs to play your files like it is the case with other media players. A codec is a program used to encode and decode digital data streams
- Simple interface, very powerful and fast.
- The ability of playing everything. This includes Files, Discs (DVD, CD, VCD), Webcams and Streams
- Ability to play different video formats with no codec packs needed.
- Works well on most platforms: Versions for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X are available.
- Free of Spyware, Adverts or User Tracking
- Also, it acts as a media converter and streamer.
When VLC is run, this is what you will see on your computer. The control buttons are below the screen.
Reliability and Performance
In terms of performance, VLC is great. It remains our most stable, flexible and lightweight media players of all those that we have tested. Its speed is good and the quality of sound produced is excellent. System resource usage is also good. You only need a maximum of 80 MB free space for you to install it. The installation process is short and simple.
Authority and credibility
VLC is a recognized media player that is used worldwide. According to developer statistics, it has been downloaded approximately 500 million times, and growing. Since 2003, VLC has been receiving awards each year. Some of the reputable sites that have recognized and awarded VLC include: Apple, MacGeneration, Softpedia, Open Source initiative and Lo4d.com just to name a few.
- VLC is a multi-format player . It plays various file formats.
- No external codec installation is required. Contains all you need to play all the file formats that it supports.
- Media converter and streaming, encodes outbound streams
- Provides excellent playback quality and stability
- Plays Internet radio and TV
- Great choice for DVD playback
- Has no spyware, adverts, user tracking or toolbar installations. A clean utility indeed.
- VLC doesn’t support commercial Blu-ray disc because of the copyright involved.
- Sometimes it may be problematic to less techie guys in un-installing the software as it integrates into WMP core components
VLC media player is a great tool. Based on the results it has produced in our labs, it has our confidence. We highly recommend its download and usage