XnView – convert images files
Introduction to XNView
With the rise of social media photo editing and converting tools have become highly popular and in demand. One common problem encountered by people wanting to post their photos is that their files are either too large, the wrong size, or not in the desired format (JPG instead of PNG for example). What makes this more difficult is that we often want to convert dozens of photos as once, instead of repeating a series of conversions on file one-by-one. There is a great freeware tool for this – called XnView.It is completely free software if used privately or for educational purposes. But if it’s going to be used for business or commercial purposes, registration is required.
What makes XNView different?
XN View is an ‘all in one’ photo editor and file converter. You can crop, rotate, and resize images, as well as adjust the more technical aspects of a photo such as the brightness, contrast, gamma, and balance. It has red-eye correction, slideshow support and critically – a format converter. If you are an ‘expert’ users when it comes to image editing, XnView can also show IPTC, Exif and XMP metadata – things that most of us dont care about – but if you are into imaage editing, can be important.
As far as freeware goes, XnView is extremely feature rich. Some of the key features are:
- Allows you to read more than 400 graphic file formats
- Able to export around 50 graphic file formats
- Online help is available (and it is good quality)
- It has filters and effects that can be applied to images
- Full screen view
- Built in screen capture tool
- All the normal photo editing options such as resize, rotate, crop, brightness, contrast etc
- Lets you create slide shows
- Many different printing options
- Create web pages from images
- Compare edited photo from unedited
- Supports 44 languages
Performance and Reliability
This utility is one of the fastest we have tested, even with large files. As for reliability, if you download and use that latest version, you will find it a very stable product.
Graphics tools sometimes have quite complex and difficult to master interfaces – however XnView does a good job of providing a simple and nearly-intuitive experience. If you are new to using graphics tools, it may take you 10-15 minutes to get used to it, however this is very good compared to other tools in its class.
- Supports a very large range of file formats
- It does not have ad’s built into it – which several tools in this class do
- All in one tool for photo editing and file conversion – it will cover 99% of most people’s needs
- Very efficient and fast
- Built in effects and filters will cover most needs
- Can be difficult to use for people who are used to using online photo editors
- Shortcut keys use the numeric keypad – which will be odd for people who use shortcuts
Although it can be tricky to use at first, you’ll find it very useful once you got used to it. You don’t have to go through online photo editing or converting tools since you already got one on your desktop. Another good thing about the XN View software is that you can still continue work your magic even though you’re not connected to the internet. So double thumbs up for this product!