CloudMark DesktopOne – protection from email spam
Introducing CloudMark DesktopOne
After logging into your mail reading “you have 4,799 unread messages”, how do you feel? Excited with the hopes that one of it might be e-mail from your current love interest or annoyed since you hnkow that again you’re flooded with dozens of “click-this-to-get-rich” spam messages. Frustrating isn’t it?
We wanted to find free anti-spam software that would completely eradicate spammers from our personal mail. For this reason, we had a close look at Could CloudMark Desktop One Basic. CloudMark DesktopOne aims to protect your inbox from over 260 billion spam messages sent daily – some of which contain viruses or phishing attempts. Once installed on your laptop or desktop, this product will work with your email client to block these messages.
What makes CloudMark DesktopOne different?
Instead of relying only on it’s own fingerprinting technology to identify SPAM and phishing mail, it also learns from what others users have marked as bad messages, and incorporates this into its knowledgebase. This ability to learn based on human input – combined with the fingerprinting technology – is what allows this product to be so effective, and what differentiates it.
This product is one of the top rated in the security industry as evidenced by its 5 star reviews on PCMAG.com and numerous distinctions by award giving bodies such as Soft82.com Award Winner 2011, Tucow.com 5/5 Product Rating 2012, and PC Magazine Product of the Year. Therefore, you are can be confident that this product has a degree of credibility and capability that many products in this class do not.
- Combines human input from thousands of users with finger-printing technology to produce a very strong detection capability
- Installation is very quick – it only takes a few minutes
- You don’t have to be techy to use it
- It starts working immediately after you register your email account details
- Amazingly, it continues to block and filter mail even your web mail or client mail is closed
- It supports 8 major client and web based e-mail programs such as Microsoft Outlook, Windows Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Gmail, LYCOS Mail, Yahoo Mail, Windows Live Hotmail, FastMail, and AOL
What your account settings dialog looks like
Advanced settings dialog, allows you to work through a proxy server
Allows you to setup rules for what to do when spam is detected
Reliability and performance
- Accurate results shown in minutes even when you double check it with your spam folder
- Fast and excellent spam detection rate that avoids false positives
Simple, clean and straight forward. It has been designed with non-technical users in mind, so it avoid presenting dozens of sophisticated options that very few people make use of.
Authority and Credibility
CloudMark is considered a top notch provider of security products – although they are not (yet) as widely known for their PC security software. Some important statistics are shown below. The ticker below shows their current authority as determined by Google’s Page Rank algorithm. A value of 5 or above indicates a site of significant authority. The number of domains and link pointing to the MalwareBytes website is a proxy for how relavent and useful the rest of the web regard MalwareBytes.
|Google Page Rank|
|Number of domains linking to CloudMark.com||177|
|Number of individual links to CloudMark.com||627|
- Outstanding ability to avoid false positives – i.e. marking good mail as potential spam
- It works even if your mailbox is closed
- It supports many e-mail programs, including both client installed and web based mail
- It has a modern and intuitive interface – making it easy for non-technical people to use
- CloudMark as a company delivers a range of security products – and has a depth of engineering talent in focus on the security space. This is good backing for a product like this
- If you do want to upgrade the full paid for version- it is cheap – at the time of writing $20 a year
- It does work on the on Mac OS. Given the capability and popularity of this product however it may be worth keeping a watch on it if you are a Mac user, as it may one day have a Mac client
- If you are an Outlook 2010 user, you will need to make sure that you follow the operating system requirements for services packs. For example, Vista users must have SP2, XP users must have SP3 – and the .NET 4.0 framework must be installed. Arguably this is more a function of Microsoft’s engineering than CloudMark’s – however this is still something you need to keep in mind to use this with Outlook 2010
- The basic (free) edition only filters one email account at a time. For people who manage multiple email accounts from one instance of Outlook – you would need to upgrade to the paid-for version if you want protection across all accounts
This is a solid effective product that will do the job for most people. It is easy and quick to setup, and easy to configure. It does a good job of detecting what is SPAM and what isn’t. If you need to monitor multiple accounts – which might be more common in a business scenario, then you will need to upgrade to the “Pro” version, however for the majority of us – this product is winner.
Other products in this category
MailWasher Free, SpamFighter, Cactus Spam Filer