Select Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Home » best freeware list, blog, headline, open source

93 Great Freeware Programs

by Johnny Karp 4 December 2012 93 Comments

Hello folks! As I promised I’m going to release the first Freeware Mission MegaPack for 2009 as it’s been almost a year since the last MegaPack was released, with 72 freeware programs back in December 2008. The new MegaPack has 94 freeware programs, all tested and installed in my freeware only PC. For those of you who don’t know what the Freeware Mission is all about I’m going to explain how and why in a few words.

I have a Windows XP powered PC, it came with the operating system installed when I bought it and I guess this is the case for many of you. Last year I reinstalled Windows XP and I thought about making my PC freeware only, doing my daily PC jobs only with freeware programs and getting rid of all that expensive and buggy paid software. These 94 freeware programs below are the ones that I am using now on a daily basis.

I’m going to stick to Windows XP for at least another few months although I’m already getting into Ubuntu and other Linux distributions. However, what I wanted to find out and prove is that you can use your Windows XP PC very well without paid software, or you can do that if you don’t have to do highly specialized things.

Enough talk, here are the 94 programs in my freeware only PC. And let’s start with some entertainment, the free games that I love. (You can click on the program names to read a full review about that particular program)

BEST FREE GAMES

Frets On Fire – Outstanding open source game, similar to the very popular Guitar Hero.

GemQuake – Free tetris based game using gem stones instead of blocks. Very entertaining in the One to One mode.

FreeCiv – Open source Civilization game, addictive turn based strategy classic game.

TrackMania Nations Forever – Highly entertaining freeware racing game.

ticon TORCS – Open source and multi platform racing car simulator game, very realistic and entertaining.

• spoinged said:

Hi, great list. I’ve used and tried most of the ones you’ve suggested. Only thing was that both my Web filter and Antivirus picked up problems with TeraCopy. Went with killcopy instead and it’s great.

• Didos said:

You should also try SSuite Office for a free office suite. They have a whole range of office suites that are free for download.

Their software also don’t need to run on Java or .NET, like so many open source office suites, so it makes their software very small and efficient.

You may try these links:

or
    or

• Free Film Postres said:

Great job! Very well done!
    Please also visit my site with 1000’s of free vintage & modern movie posters http://www.freefilmposters.com
    cheers!

• oktiek said:

I see all of you like freeware, okay now i serve you with freeware..to find what are you looking for about freeware please visit my blog

• Jim Ord said:

Hi again Johnny, How are you keeping? I’ve sent you a link to a Freeware site, (which you probably already know about – but who knows?)
    What has happened to your Avatar? – I really liked it! Have a Great Holiday Season!
    Regards,
    Jim

• Takmil said:

I love this site. 😀

• Dwayne said:

Hello sir, I noticed that when you first started this list that you would rather use windows firewall over a free version, have you changed your mind after this research or are you sticking with the windows firewall? By the way great list.Have you ever heard of emule? Its great for finding hard to find stuff.

• DVDSoft said:

Wow, 94 free programs, quite a list, thanks. With the right tool, you can easily burn mp4 to dvd and itunes to dvd.

• berndk. said:

best real iphone unlock and jailbreak on http://www.anysim.net

• doc viewer said:

Thank you for the good writeup. It in reality used to be a entertainment account it. Look complex to more delivered agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

• 51 Essential Programs For A Freeware Only PC | Freeware Mission said:

[…] out the new list: 94 Great Freeware Programs! Check the the new collectiion of 27 Free Web Aplications for Webmasters and Developers Special […]