Select Pages: 1 2

Home » blog, featured, open source, security

Best Free Anti Virus – The People Have Voted!

by Johnny Karp 18 November 2009 12 Comments

The best free anti virus poll was closed yesterday! A month ago I invited you to vote for the best freeware anti virus solution and around 300 of you expressed their view. I expected a lot more votes to be honest but anyway, the results should give us an idea of the best free solutions that are on the market.

OK, enough talking, let’s see the results! And the winner is…

1 best free antivirus poll results

Indeed, ladies and gentlemen, Avast Home Edition is the winner although Avira AntiVir Personal Edition was not too far away in 2nd place. AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition took the last place on the podium while the rest of the contenders finished way back.

• pcmemoirs said:

I’m somewhat surprised that Avast won. I read reviews where Antivir was a clear winner and I thought more people would use it.
    I guess you stick with the one you tried and like. Maybe some people who voted haven’t tried the competition. I know I haven’t tried Avast (yet).

The two programs came in pretty close, so I guess both are good free options.

• Opal said:

If Avast is free, why does it offer a 60-day money back guarantee?

Avast Home Edition is free, the other versions are commercial.

• M.A. Sotelo said:

The best Antivirus is Panda Cloud Antivirus.
    The first free antivirus from Cloud.

Immunet Protect antivirus runs second..

• vsg said:

Once a friend of mine tried to uninstall Panda. While doing so, Panda broke whole system, and he was unable to boot.

• Firelord said:

Avira AntiVir PE Classic has been my first choice for almost 10 years now. Aside from the fact that they could use new and better update servers (can take up to a week to get important updates after a major engine update), the AV itself is better than the competition.

• Leo said:

I've been using AVG for many years now and I am happy with
    My recent post ZScreen-open source image and screen capture utility for Windows.

• zerin said:

Well Microsoft Security Essential is my prefered choice, due to being absolutaly free, no trials or free versions or anything, this one is really great at getting rid of everything and preventing any viruses from coming in. Although it’s a bit glitchy sometimes. Buts that’s rare. Still, it’s a microsoft product and even though i’ve tried Avira, (It keeps bugging me to buy the premuim all the time) and Avast, (ehh ok.) I keep going back to the Micrsoft one.

• marcy ramos said:

wow… its a close fight although i’ve used Avira anti vir for so long it really is strict in protecting your system. recently switched to Avast so far, no problems…

• Hafiz said:

maybe AVG is not the best choice but im still lovin it

• Shah said: