Home » antivirus, blog, security

Vote For The Best Free Antivirus Software!

by Johnny Karp 1 September 2009 20 Comments

The sun is shining and the heat is rising, so I thought this would be the right time to start a new refreshing poll on the Freeware Mission 🙂 As you already know I’m very curious to find out your views on things so I decided to give you the opportunity to vote for your favorite free antivirus program. Here are the five programs that I’m inviting you to vote for:

avast icon Avast Home Edition

It’s my favorite, I think it’s the best free antivirus program so it already has one vote 🙂  It is made by a Czech company based in Prague and they say it has around 80 million users around the world. The Home Edition is free, you’ll receive a license key after registering on their website. It works both on Windows and Linux.

avira_icon Avira AntiVir Personal Edition

It’s another popular freeware option, made by a German company. They say that it has the highest signature and proactive detection rates, according to some independent tests.

avg icon AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

Also made by a Czech company, they claim to have around 80 million users worldwide.

a-squared_icon a-squared Free

Maybe it’s the less known of the bunch, made by an Austrian company. It provides both antivirus and antispyware protection.

ClamWin_icon ClamWin Free Antivirus

It’s the only open source program of the five, and that makes it very promising. It does not offer real time protection but they say this would be the major improvement in the future version.

If your favorite free antivirus program is not among these 5 please leave a comment and I’ll include the new program you might suggest right away. I’d also love to see some of you motivating their choices and votes, maybe you’ll be persuading other people to try your favorite freeware antivirus program!

So, what are you waiting for? Start voting! The poll will be closed at the end of August, so there’s not too much time left…

—————————————————————

antivirus

• Ucncle Gerry said:

Avast by a mile. I have used AVG, Avira and finally was turned on to Avast by my best friend. Avast is easy to use and works so darn well, why bother with anything else?

• Just a Guy said:

AVAST!!!! And it does scan Outlook Express.

Thanks for sharing your views. I also like Avast but I’m sure that there are many people that prefer other programs, so I’m waiting to see their opinions too.

• jay johns said:

I am using all 3 antivirus program, Avast, Avira and AVG

Avast give me about 2 updates per day., I like AVG because it does a scan in the backgroup and doesn’t use much resorces and you can still go and do your work and don’t know about the scan. Avast slows my computer down.. Avira also slows my comptuter down.

Avira I like too, it send me e mail telling me about updates almost every day..

My compter run fine running all three together with no problem.

Avast also let me know if a web site has a virus the other two don’t seem to know..

I think I would keep AVAST if I had to keep only 1.

Jay, I think that you should use only one! There could be conflicts between the three programs and that could cause trouble. Actually I’m surprised that your computer works fine with 3 antivirus programs installed at the same time!

• Jon said:

Avast all the way! Did you hear that the Symantec (Norton AV) Vice President just left them and joined Alwil (Avast)?! Take that Norton! Avast just keeps getting better, and one feature that makes it win the others is that it is skinnable!
    >>I use several too, they don’t really conflict with each other, you can use them for different purposes. But for some you have to uninstall an AV before continuing, but after you finish you can re-install the other AV.

I didn’t know about the vice president incident, thanks for keeping us informed Jon!

• pcmemoirs said:

I use AVG on my PC and Avira on my laptop. I’m quite happy with AVG although sometimes it doesn’t find all infections – then I go to some online scanner for help. Based on my long research, I’d say that Avira is the best, but many users seem to like Avast. I haven’t used it much…

@pcmemoirs
    Thanks for sharing your view. So far nobody voted for a-squared, there must be some fans somewhere 🙂

• Osama said:

i think avast is the best free antivirus available in the market now with it’s powerful features. i’m using avast on my pc for about a year with no problems.

• zeldafan678 said:

Fuck avira that thing is crap. AVAST all the way. AVAST Home Free Edition was the best thing I put on my computer. I tried many others and none of them are as awesome as AVAST. I have been using it for years with no problems. It has good resident protection, antispyware, antirootkit, ability to do a custom quickscan for any file you download or just are in suspicion of, it scans in the background and is quiet, updates daily, can keep you from going to malicious sites, and it also has the ability to let the user do a boottime scan to find anything in the pc BEFORE the OS boots and blocks access to it. In closing AVAST is amazing and to hell with everything else :D.

PS I really wish people would understand that an antivirus solution is not a complete one. NOT any one scanner will protect you from everything you still have to use that thing called a brain. Also having more than one installed is BAD, VERY BAD, it can cause all sorts of problems so dont do it k?. AVAST wont even install properly if it detects some other antivirus client.

Anyone who wishes to comment back may do so on my AIM which is zeldafan678 thank you and goodday geeks.

@zeldafan678
    Thanks for sharing your view, you’re quite a hardcore Avast fan 🙂

• Zax said:

What about Panda Cloud Antivirus?

Will be added in a few minutes, thanks for recommending it.

• Dennis said:

Have tried several and used AVG for years with good results. AVG has become slow and cumbersom as it evolves. Update process is a complete pain.

I am now beta testing the Panda Cloud. I also have PC Tools ThreatFire installed. I really like both. ThreatFire runs in the background as a back and is completely behavior based. Cloud is the registered antivirus for my MSN Security. Work good together. I expect to add the MSN Security software now being beta tested. It has been getting good reports and will be free. It will also work like ThreatFire as background protection wotking with any main protection you have installed.

My other programs are Spybot Search ‘N Destroy, A Squared, and JavaTools SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard. ZoneAlarm is my firewall.

ALL FREE and they work very well together and the protection is top notch.

Thanks for all the info Dennis.

• lazycoder said:

Have been using Avast Home edition for the past 3 and a half years and works like a charm for me 🙂 … its better compared to other free antiviruses which I have used like AVG and Avira.

AFAIK there is no other antivirus which can even stand besides Avast when it comes to detection and removal of viruses for free.

– LazyCoder

• Danny said:

I also use Avast since it has an easier userface than most anti-virus softwares. It does find viruses that others couldn’t find and scanning is a breeze.

• Rasta said:

AVAST IS THE BEST!!!!!!!! whoohooooo 😀

• Devpratim said:

I love the kaspersky internet security 2010.t catches all the viruses, malware,trojans,wormse.t.c
    I think we must vote for kaspersky