Home » system tools

Free Desktop Clock 2.2 – Freeware Windows Tray Clock Replacement

by James 12 March 2009 13 Comments

Overview
Free Desktop Clock is a better looking and more advanced freeware replacement for the standard Windows system tray clock

Review
I had only one reason to search for a freeware tray clock replacement: I want the date dispayed too, not only the time. And maybe I hoped for a better looking clock, but that was not essential. After browsing the internet for some time I was quite frustrated because almost all the programs in this category are shareware, mostly time limited. Finally I found Free Desktop Clock. It has a paid version called Atomic Alarm Clock, with far more features, but I hope that the free version will be enough for my needs.

free-desktop-clock-1

Nice, it shows the date, 7th of March, Saturday. You can set it to show the seconds too along with the hours and minutes. As for the looks you get to choose from 50 different skins. Some of the skins look quite atrocius, others are nice. I chose the domino skin, nice and elegant black and white skin.

free-desktop-clock-2

If you wonder about the memory footprint I can tell you that it’s rather small, only 560 Kb on my system. In the main window of the program you can make a few customizations to the program, and you can also synchronize your clocki with the international time servers like time.windows.com and others. By default if you double click the tray clock the Windows Date and Time Properties window will pop up. I use this window as a calendar 🙂

free-desktop-clock-3

There you have it, a freeware tray clock replacement with better looks and a small memory footprint.

2.2

Drive Software

Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003

Download link

Summary

Nice skins and good functionality.

Small memory footprint.

Does not work on Windows Vista.

It could have included more features from the commercial version.

Rating

Verdict

I’m still on the lookout for a great freeware tray clock replacement, but until I find the one that I’m dreaming of Free Desktop Clock does the job quite well.

If you have any trouble with this software just leave a comment, I’ll help you out! If you know better free programs in the same category, please let me know!

• CodyPT said:

You ought to take a look at TClockEx (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,6122-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html)

A free, versatile program with a small footprint that offers a better display of the date and time than your choice…at least in my opinion.

@Cody
    I didn’t know about TClockEx, thanks for pointing it out to me. I’ll give it a try, it looks promising.

• Dusan said:

You may try ‘TClock Lite’

@Dusan
    I tried TClock lite some time ago and unless there’s a newer version available I wouldn’t do that again, it didn’t impress me at all.

• Sparx said:

Also have a look at TClock2, although it seems to suffer from similar cons – no vista support. But there is support for time synchronization so your clock can be accurately maintained thanks to time servers on the Net. Also has support for skinning the START button.

• Sparx said:

Another alternative is Analog Clock, it is now freeware and is apparently Vista compatible. There is however no more support from the author. This application too can keep your system time synced with NTP servers.

@Sparx
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I’ll have a look.

• Russell said:

I don’t understand … If trying to build a wholly freeware PC, why all this stuff about applications that run in Windows? Why not ditch Windows and get a free copy or download of Linux?

Good luck with the project nonetheless!

😎

@Russell
    I have a dual boot system now, I installed Ubuntu… With all due respect, it isn’t developed enough to replace Windows, mainly because of the hardware support problems. I would love to ditch Windows but for now I feel it’s impossible.

• Dusan said:

Mate I suggest you try LINUX MINT ,
    you can even Install-uninstall from windows and test or use it standalone.

It is based on Ubuntu but much beter OS

@Dusan
    Thanks for the suggestion. As a matter of fact I planned to give it a go sooner or later because many people told me good things about it.

• Dusan said:

No problem mate,
    All my hardware worked perfect withot installing any aditional drivers,
    exept drivers for my wirelles card ( 1minute job).
    All working good, videos, audio files … and you can automaticly install aplications

• Heartburn Home Remedy said:

I follow your blog for quite a long time and must tell that your posts are always valuable to readers.