Home » open source, video tools

Best Free Video Editing Program

by James 14 November 2012 10 Comments

Hey folks, welcome to the Freeware Mission again, cruising through to the final destination – a freeware only PC. This one here is an interesting episode, because I do professional video editing from time to time to earn some cash to pay the rent. The program that I’m using to edit TV shows, commercials, even motion pictures is Avid Xpress Pro, and that one is far from being free, it costs a lot of dough. Free video editing programs? There are a few but…

Right now there is no freeware program that could replace Avid Xpress or Final Cut, the best professional video editing programs at the moment. But there is some hope: ZS4 and Jahshaka are two free video editing programs that are getting closer to being good enough for professional editing. But so far they are not good enough.

The freeware program that I am going to choose will be something that would allow capture, basic editing and export to avi, the things that I do for non-professional video products.

And that freeware program is VirtualDub, a legendary open source program, the best there is. You can capture your video and audio content, do some basic fast editing and get the best avi file out of it.

Avery Lee
1.8.4

You can download VirtualDub from here, it’s open source!

Three episodes to go, the Freeware Mission continues!

• Elite freeware guy said:

Sure i’ll change the link to http://okfreeware.blogspot.com soon.

No need to thank me.

I did had a gmail account for my contact info but i lost the password, i should had saved it somewhere :(

Thanks ;) Too bad about the password, maybe you will remember it… accidentally ;) That happens to me sometimes.

• index.html said:

Have a look at Cinelerra, and Kino. Also Blender can do video editing and node based compositing.

• videoeditor said:

bullshit.
    The virtualdub is good but it can save only to avi, cant handle 5.1 sound properly and LACKS
    of good sharpening video filters.
    It is not the best for EDITING, just for video repacking.

@videoeditor
    So please tell us which is the best free video editing program for you. Thanks.

• budi benjamin said:

saya suka edit video buat dokumentasi, bisa kah saya minta software secara gratis…? terima kasih

English, please.

• Nick Chapman said:

I’ve also heard good things about Cinelerra and Kino, but I think they are both Linux only programs. If that is the case, though, you can probably run Linux from a live (bootable) disk without having to install it, or use a virtual machine like VirtualBox to do a virtual linux installation on your Windows machine.

I think i’ll try the second option and if it goes well, i’ll report back here.

I have used VirtualDub for years and love it. The UI isn’t the most friendly, but the program is pretty powerful, despite the pointed out shortcomings.

Hello Nick, I guess I could test them too because I have Ubuntu on my PC alongside Windows. But please report back with your impressions, I’d love to hear your view :)

• 51 Essential Programs For A Freeware Only PC | Freeware Mission said: