Home » audio tools, video tools

Best Free Universal Transcoder

by James 28 November 2008 8 Comments

Hello friends! I’m proud to report that the Freeware Mission is going as planned, maybe even better. Three episodes to go until I’ll give you the list of essential freeware programs that I installed in my PC during this quest. The program that I’m going to choose now is a universal video and audio transcoder, something that allows you to convert various video and audio file formats with ease.

Normally I don’t trust programs that say they can do everything. If you say you can do everything you end up by doing everything badly. That’s the case with most video and audio transcoders. I prefer specialized transcoders but I admit that having a universal transcoder in my computer is a must.

There are a few freeware options available. One of them is SUPER, but I find it a little bit too complicated and I’m even a little bit worried about it because of some reports claiming it contains spyware. Another option is MediaCoder, but it still has a lot of bugs, not reliable enough. The best option if you ask me is FormatFactory. It can convert almost any type of video and audio file, from avi and mpg to swf and 3gp. And there’s even more: it can convert graphic files (jpg, bmp, png, tiff, ico) and has also a basic dvd ripping feature.

You can download FormatFactory from here, it’s free!

www.formatoz.com
1.42

Two more episodes to go, with three great freeware programs in them! The Freeware Mission, going all the way!

Hello can you explain me how I can use Format Factory to create from multiple VOB files (which together make one movie) can make 1 output file?

Hey. You have the DVD to video file option under the Rom Device/DVD/CD/ISO menu. It works only if your movie is burned to a DVD-video and you can select the type of output file and everything.
    If the vob files are on your hard disk you can use MeGUI or AutoGK to make an avi file out of your vob. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers.

• Amrit said:

SUPER is not malicious in any way and MediaCoder does not have any known bugs yet in the latest release.

• Adam Maciaszek said:

witam, mam kilkaset plików muzycznych do skonwertowania. Jak wrzucić pliki do programu? Nigdzie nie zauważyłem opcji importuj… Niby można przeciągać pliki z folderu do programu, ale tylko po jednym (jak przeciągam więcej to do programu trafia i tak tylko jeden). Da się wrzucić od razu wiele plików?

@Adam
    English, please. I can only understand about 20 words in Polish 🙂

• Avirup Chatterjee said:

hi

I used mediacoder and handbrake also I found both are not so good as mediacoder is better option than Handbrke but I have downloaded the Format FActory and I am trying to use H264 in mkv is that possible to use that filter in mkv

As far as I know FormatFactory does not support mkv.

• 51 Essential Programs For A Freeware Only PC | Freeware Mission said: