Home » office tools

Best Free Text Editor

by James 28 November 2008 11 Comments

Hello friends, welcome to the Freeware Mission. I have only a few freeware programs left to install and my computer will be working just fine with no commercial software in it. Today I’m going to choose a free text editor. I’m using Notepad too, everybody does, but there are some freeware programs that offer a lot more.

And I think that the best of them is… Notepad++. It’s a text editor but it can be a very useful tool for a programmer. It supports a large number of programming languages offering syntax highlighting and folding.

And there’s better news: the program can be enriched with the dozens of plugins that are available as we speak.

You can download Notepad++ from here, it’s open source!

Don HO
5.0.3

Five more episodes to go and the Freeware Mission will reach the peak! On Monday I will publish the list with the programs I installed in my computer to have it working with only freeware programs in it!
I wouldn’t miss that!

• Dave said:

Right Johnny,the link has been changed to your new one and the blog is looking good

Thanks Dave!

Never heard of EDXOR ??

What I’m really missing in notepad++ is a column editor.
    CrimsonEditor has that, so I’d recommend CrimsonEditor (now also opensouce project called emeraldEditor) (http://www.emeraldeditor.com / http://www.crimsoneditor.com/)

• Wim said:

pspad (http://www.pspad.com/en/) is also a really good one, although closed source, it is updated frequently and the author will listen to good suggestions

• Jim said:

You can post what you think is the
    best text editor at whatUrunning.com

• Marco said:

EditPad Lite, free and excellent.

@Marco
    Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give it a try.

• ParSalian said:

I’ve been using Textpoad for ages. I know, i know, its not free, just shareware, that’s not the point. But one day i started studying japanese & chinese (yeah, both), and UTF-writen folders appeared in my desktop. And… wtf??? why the hell can’t TextPad open them? It’s just trying to open “C:\bin\????\index.txt” instead of “C:\bin\日本\index.txt”… ok, let’s move it to the desktop…. ouch! the charachters inside aren’t well depicted, and if i save the file, then the file is totally corrupted. In few words: It doesn’t has support for asian languajes. That day I started my search for a good text editor, trying to find the things i most use in textpad (and the ones i miss ;)):
    * Full UTF-8, UTF-16 support… maybe JIS?
    * RegExp Search & Replace (all opened files)
    * Search in files, file compare
    * Line marking (so you can go ahead and back between different points…. the definition of a function and its uses ;))
    * Syntax highlighting (not closed-format, so I can add AU3 / LUA / whatever if undefined, and automatically extension-linked)
    * Colum editing (copy-paste in column mode, filling with fixed text, number sequences…)
    * Usability (keyboard shortcuts) and fast learning curve
    * ….

I looked into wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors) and found some interesting options. Tryed many, but no one had all i was looking for. Anyway, at least i found a good one, and started using it. Not sure if it was Scite or Notepad++…. It had some crashes, but hey, it was working. I was saving frequently so i don’t lose my work. In one of this times… it crashed during the save. Ok, as always, i reopened the file… the empty file… hey, stop. Empty? WTF? yeah, it was empty.

I hope it was a beta version or whatever. But it messed up my work due to a crash during the save. Even the previously saved work was lost.

It has been some time ago. I’ve been textpad again for files wihout kanji, and notepad (standard) for kanjis. Now, I’ve received an invitation to try the Seven, and i want to retry.

Any good text editor?

(btw, sorry if my english isn’t perfect… i’m from Spain ;))

Notepad++ is a good free option in my view but I don’t know if it meets all of your criteria. And don’t worry, your English is quite OK 🙂

• 72 Programs For A Freeware Only PC « streetvisuals said:

[…] Notepad++ – Powerful open source text editor written in C++, supports a wide range of programming languages, great multi-document and multi-view features. […]