Home » system tools

Best Free Partition Manager

by James 28 November 2008 10 Comments

Hello friends, just two more episodes until the conclusion of the Freeware Mission, exactly one month after the beginning. Today I’m going to pick a free partition manager, the best one, and a free backup software, because you can’t play around with the partitions without backing up the data.

I think that the best free partition manager is Gparted Live CD/USB/PXE/HD. Quite a long name though. But it’s a great piece of freeware: you can burn the .iso to a bootable CD and you make your partitions the way you want them, but carefully, it’s not easy like copy/paste. You can also use Gparted from an USB stick, a hard disk drive or from a PXE server.

You can download Gparted Live CD/USB/PXE/HD(Gnome Partition Editor) from here, it’s free! (prepare for a 90 MB download).

Now let’s get to the backup software. As I said you can’t play around with the partitions without backing up your data. But that’s not the only use for this kind of software. You should regularly backup the data on your system drive, because if the PC crashes you should be able to restore everything easily. That’s what DriveImage XML helps you to do: backup partitions to image files, extract files from those image files or restore the images to the same drive or to another drive.

DriveImage XML is a must have freeware program, the best backup software around, free or commercial.

You can download DriveImage XML from here, it’s free (the Private Edition is free)!

One more episode and the Freeware Mission will come to a conclusion. Don’t miss it!

• IanT said:

Check out Macrium Reflect Free Edition http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

It’s way faster that DXML and comes complete with an integrated Linux boot CD.

• Matthew said:

it very useful

u r blog Is very nice

Thank you both for the info and for visiting.

• Gerald said:

I tried your backup solution but did not like it. Why would you use images for backup? Here i use an external hard drive for incremental backups every day, using DirSyncPro. Wonderfully useful interface, can be used for all kinds of syncing, can be run in background too if needed. You should give it a try!

@Gerald
    I use DriveImage XML because I just need to make an image of my system drive once in a while, when it’s necessary, and restore it if something goes wrong. Your incremental backup solution is good but it might be too much for a slower PC, and that might not make it useful for an average user with not very important data in his PC.

• Gerald said:

@Johnny
    Well, i tend to disagree… at the systems i serviced, an average user does not really need an image of the system of months back, but would be extremely glad if there was a backup of the documents he or she was working on at the moment. Programs can be re-installed, windows settings does not matter that much, but recent documents do! So therefore if i build a pc for someone, i always install an external hard drive rightaway and show them how to make a one-click backup. And it saved me already a lot of hassle…

@Gerald
    Well ,I never did that. I need the image, but I understand your view.

• Dwindle said:

Personally, I keep the os and personal files on different partitions. My os is backed up as an image with Acronis about once a month, and my data is synced to an external drive once a week (because I use a notebook, a pc should backup several times a day).

• Guru said:

i used easeus free partition manager to manage my disk, works smoothly, fast and easy to use. u guy can have a try. http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm