Home » photo and graphics

Best Free Image Viewer

by James 4 December 2012 13 Comments

Welcome to the Freeware Mission! We’re getting closer to the dream, a freeware only PC! Today I’m going to choose a free image viewer for my computer. I’ve used a lot of freeware programs to view my photos, but there is only one that really satisfied me. And that freeware program is…

It’s IrfanView! I’ve been using it for a while and I’m very happy with the way it works. The thing that I like about it is that it supports a very wide range of file formats. I even managed to convert a .cdr file into a .jpg with IrfanView. The other nice feature is that it includes some basic image editing possibilities.

screenshot
screenshot

IrfanView is a little more than an image viewer, it allows you to edit and convert your pictures, optimize, scan, print, create slideshows, batch processing, etc. If you’re not satisfied you can try to add some of the available plugins.

You can download IrfanView from here, it’s free!

9.5

Irfan Skiljan

4.20

The Freeware Mission is not over, stay tuned for the future episodes!

Check the site for the latest articles: Freeware Mission – Best Freeware Blog

Never heard of XnView ??

Never 🙂

Better alternatives are:
    FastStone Image Viewer and Picasa

• Scott said:

XNView is even better.

But frankly nothing replaces a combination of the GIMP and Windows (built in) Photo Gallery.

• USGroup1 said:

I love FastStone Image Viewer’s full screen features.

• JP1989 said:

Yes, I use FastStone Image Viewer too. Its very light and its perfect for old computers. But I also have Picasa and I find it really nice. I’m debating on letting FastStone go.

@JP1989
    I just finished testing and reviewing Picasa today, you can find the post on the home page. I found Picasa 3 to be really good indeed.

• nick see said:

I tried all the ones mentioned in the comments (and the software reviewed) and personally like XnView best. It’s interface (reminiscent of old school ACDSee 3.1) was most familiar…it allows lossless jpg rotation…batch processing/easy renaming. I’m sure these other are good too…most did what I wanted but didn’t have the interface I was used to. I still use Picasa, as well…but for different purposes.

My combination: XnView for quick views. Picasa for searching / management. Gimp for editing.

@Nick
    Thanks for sharing your view. Now you really made me curious about XnView…

• Drumhellar said:

I used to use Irfanview, but now it’s faststone all the way. Irfanview shows a lot of noise on any dark pictures and night shots. Faststone also has some pretty good looking frame masks which help turn a snapshot into a great looking picture.

• Potter.Web.ID said:

I like Irfanview and Google picasa

• Opto said:

Irfanview’s many features and ease of use is the reason it has been one of the top 10 downloads from download sites for many years and one of the reasons that it is a must have for my systems.
    Based on comments I will give Picasa and Firestone another honest try.

• Picasa 3 review | Freeware Mission said:

[…] The image viewer that I chose to use was IrfanView, a legendary freeware program. But things are changing and IrfanView […]