Home » open source, photo and graphics

Best Free Image Editing Program

by James 28 November 2008 13 Comments

The Freeware Mission goes on, the finishing line is getting closer. And I’ll be very proud to have a freeware only PC! Now I’m going to choose the best free image editing program. Now I’m not doing image editing on a daily basis, but I like to play around with my photos from time to time. Which is the freeware program I picked? Well, I chose to install two freeware programs. 🙂

The first one is obviously GIMP. I’ve been using it for the past few months and I’m very happy with it. You have more details in my previous review of GIMP but I’d like to publish here the comment from one of my visitors about this open source program:

I am not exactly what one would call “artistically inclined”. I usually can follow directions when I actually read them (or find them). I have used the GIMP for several years now, upgrading when available. I honestly have never used it to its full capabilities.

The GIMP is easy to install/upgrade on my winbox and currently at 16 meg., it isn’t too big of a download. I have found that it is fairly easy to use – even if I don’t know how to use most of it’s features (or what they do).

I have downloaded various commercial trial programs and found that I could not do anything with them that I couldn’t do on the GIMP (with its plug-ins, modules, and scripts).

True, the GIMP is unable to open some proprietary formats and edit their files but I believe one can still achieve the same end results. (One can make an animated image that is just as annoying as any flash.)

I enjoy using the GIMP. As an owner/operator of a small web services company, I am not always in control of the materials I receive for my client’s websites. (True, I can be picky about the materials. But… that decision would probably create need to look for a new career.) I cannot do the impossible with the GIMP, I just use it for everything else.

comment by badboy_gone_good

You can download GIMP from here, it’s free!

Now I told you I chose two freeware programs for this episode. I chose a second one because I usually resize a lot of pictures and I don’t want to open GIMP only for that. I found a tiny freeware program that does just that. It’s called Resize My Pictures! You can add JPG, GIF, BMP, TIF or PNG files and then resize and save them in any of the formats mentioned (that means you can convert files from one format to another even without resizing). Easy, just drag and drop, set the desired resolution and you’re ready to go.

screenshot
screenshot
So I’m keeping both programs, GIMP for the advanced image editing and Resize My Pictures for quick image resize or convert jobs.

You can download Resize My Pictures from here, it’s free!

The Freeware Mission does not stop, stay tuned for more great freeware and open source programs!

• Clipping path services said:

Really informative.This really helps image editors.

Regards,
    Graphics@sbl
    clipping path services

• Oscar van der Velde said:

I am a happy user of Paint.NET (free) with its many functions and great plugins. Have a look:

@Oscar
    There are quite a few people that recommended me Paint.NET lately, so I’ll give it a try soon.

• Jim said:

You can post what you think is the
    best image editing software
    at whatUrunning.com

• dino said:

eee ljkudi tražim programe za uređivanje slika !!!! please.. javite mi se !!! pošaljite na adresu dino_imotski@net.hr !!!! :O help ¨!

@dino
    English, please 🙂

• Scott E said:

Hello, and thanks for all of the work you’re doing, you’re a life saver! 🙂
    However, the link for Resize My Pictures does not work, there is only an error message shown about an “Unexpected character in input”. The same error appears even when trying to access the home page, so it appears as though the publisher is having server problems.
    After doing a Google search, I’ve found that the program is also available through a website called OnlyFreewares.com. Here’s the link: http://www.onlyfreewares.com/Graphics/Image-Converters/Resize-My-Pictures.php

@Scott
    Thanks for letting me know about the problem with the author’s website. I hope it’s only temporary, I’ll keep an eye on the website and maybe contact him to find out what’s going on. Thanks for providing that link too.

• Scott E said:

Not a problem. I sent my cousin to this page because he was looking for this exact function and when he told me that the link wasn’t working I had to find an alternate location, which I figured would be beneficial to any future visitors as well.

• XNView – Free Photo Viewer | Technology you can trust here... said:

[…] Best Free Image Editing Program The Freeware Mission goes on, the finishing line is getting… […]

• Ram said:

@ Scott and Johnny Karp:
    Could you guys post any other alternative where I can download “Resize My Pictures”? Cos I too need exactly that. Many thanks

• Ram said:

Mmm… Never mind… Just caught the link Scott had shared

• 72 Programs For A Freeware Only PC | Freeware Mission said:

[…] GIMP – The best freeware alternative to Adobe Photoshop. It’s an open source image editor, very powerful and quite stable. […]