Home » audio tools

Best Free Audio CD Ripping Program

by James 28 November 2008 16 Comments

Welcome to another episode of the Freeware Mission. I’m going to choose the best free audio CD ripper, because I need my music to be “portable”, take it from my CDs to my MP3 player. Another reason is that mostly I listen to music on my PC rather than my CD player, so it’s more comfortable to have the songs on my hard disk. And the best free audio CD ripping program is…

ย

Well, the choice was a little bit difficult. There were two freeware programs that grabbed my attention: CDex and Exact Audio Copy. I like CDex a lot because it’s open source and it’s a pretty good program. But I have to say that the features in Exact Audio Copy are a little bit better. The most important feature for me is that it supports FLAC, and apart from that it implements some interesting technologies that allow you to have as little errors as possible when copying the tracks from an audio CD. And it also includes a small but handy audio editor!

screenshot
screenshot

Another important feature is that Exact Audio Copy supports all kinds of CD and DVD drives: USB, Firewire, SATA and SCSI drives. Although it still didn’t have it’s final release (it’s still in beta state) I’m sure that it will be an outstanding freeware program. My concern is that the latest beta was released in January this year, and nothing was released since. I guess they are working hard for the final release ๐Ÿ™‚

You can download Exact Audio Copy from here, it’s free!

Andre Wiethoff

0.99 prebeta 4

The Freeware Mission is not over! Another 25 episodes to go, stay tuned for great freeware coming your way!

• KokPang said:

EAC is good. But it takes years to come up with a new build/version. It has been in the 0.9x mode since I got to know about it several years back. So I’ve kind of given up hope seeing the v1.0 anytime soon.

@KokPang
    Yea, I hoped they would release a new version too. The last one was in January 2008, let’s not give up hope ๐Ÿ™‚

• Audio said:

Now I have another DC ripper I can try and then reccomend. Thanks for the link and info on EAC.

• afiljia said:

For mac,you can use dvd ripper for mac to convert dvd to any format.

• 72 Programs For A Freeware Only PC « streetvisuals said:

[…] Exact Audio Copy โ€“ Great audio CD ripper, extracts your audio tracks from all kinds of CD and DVD drives are supported (including USB, Firewire, SATA and SCSI drives). Supports many output file formats, including flac through external encoders. […]

• Acne Treatment : said:

CD Players are nice but today we have DVD players and Blu-ray players that are even nicer ~*;

• UPVC Windows ยท said:

i prefer to buy those cd players with anti-shock mounts because they are much better ~,~

• gorden bruce said:

cool staff ,thanks for sharing.Ripping and converting dvd on mac is a very simple thing with dvd ripper for mac

• ripdvdtoipad said:

J have learned how to rip dvd to ipad. It is easy to rip with a fast speed.

• ipadvideoconverter said:

I will take the conversion speed and function of the software into consideration.

• henry said:

Pretty interesting site youโ€™ve got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them.
    ipad converter mac.

• hanry said:

the cool software should be help you do that thing all right.
    ipad converter mac

• audiodriver said:

that’s great,i’m seaching a dvd or cd that can copy games.

• Kaspersky review said:

Getting data off the Internet is like taking a drink from a hearth hydrant. โ€“ Mitchell Kapor

• ipad to mac said:

It’s a old topic, but still works.
    Thanks, man.