Select Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Home » open source

51 Essential Programs For A Freeware Only PC

by James 4 December 2012 292 Comments

VirtualDub 49. VirtualDub – Legendary open source editing tool, great for cutting and transcoding your video files for best quality avi output.

Wordweb 50. WordWeb – Great free dictionary and thesaurus, I’m already in love with it. It can be used to look up words from almost any program, showing definitions, synonyms and related words. It includes pronunciations and usage examples, has spelling and sounds-like links.

GigaTribe 51. GigaTribe – I use this one for sharing files with my fiends and colleagues. It is easy to configure and perfect for connecting a small group of people. It includes a chat feature, so you can talk to your friends while they download your shared files.

The Conclusion

For the normal PC user, the user that doesn’t do highly specialized work on his computer, the freeware alternatives that you can find in this list are more than enough. In fact, I think that you don’t need to spend lots of money on their commercial alternatives, these freeware programs are just as good, some of them even better! If you make some quick calculations you’ll see that by using these freeware programs I saved more than 500 US dollars! I think I’ll buy myself a bicycle 🙂

Download

I thought about making things simple for you, so I’ve made a zip file with all these great freeware programs. I named it the “Freeware Mission Mega Pack“. You can download it from here, 446 MB of outstanding freeware! (The file host is a Romanian website, the only one I found offering free hosting for files up to 1 GB – just wait for 5 seconds and then click on “DESCARCA FISIERUL!”)

As a backup solution I’ve uploaded the files in smaller packs to another host too, here are the download links:

Freeware Mission Pack1 (94.1 MB)

Freeware Mission Pack2 (85.5 MB)

Freeware Mission Pack3 (51.2 MB)

Freeware Mission Pack4 (88.8 MB)

OpenOffice.org (127 MB)

I have scanned the packs for viruses and spyware, they are clean!

What next?

Well, first of all I’ll take a day or two off, no blogging. This whole month was a little bit tiring, so I need some time to chill out. After that… No surprises, I’ll continue to search for, find, test and review freeware programs for you. If you know freeware programs that are worth a look please leave a comment or send me an e-mail, I’d be glad to test them.

This post is the result of a full month’s work, so if you find it interesting please digg it, tell your friends about it, promote it if you can. If you want to publish the post or the list on your website or blog please ask for permission or at least let me know about it and link back, that would be fair.

Huge thanks for your support and suggestions, see you soon.

DECEMBER EDIT

I compiled a new list that will be updated every time I’ll test and review a program. I really hope that the new list is better and more complete than this one, as I tried to combine your suggestions and my views. I’ll be working to keep it updated. Check it out and maybe tell me what you think about it. Thanks.

LATER EDIT

The download link doesn’t work anymore. Please try this link. Thanks.

LATER EDIT

Check out the new list: 72 freeware programs!

• Digital Camera Data Recovery said:

Digital camera data recovery software recovers and restores photo pictures images video photos audio voice sound accidentally deleted erased pictures. It recover accidentally deleted photo, images, audio, video files from all major branded of Digital Camera like Sony, Samsung, Kodak, Panasonic, Olympus, Canon and more. Digital Photo Recovery is smoothly run on all Windows Operating System such as Windows 98, Window ME, Windows XP, Win 2000, XP Professional and Vista Operating systems. It support all type of memory card and memory sticks MMC SD flash cards. Recover all corrupted, deleted or logically crashed camera picture and photos. Users does not require any technical skills to operate this data recovery software. It can recover deleted lost formatted images photos pictures snaps.

• Windows Data Recovery said:

Windows data recovery software recover deleted files and restore virus infected, corrupted and formatted data from NTFS/NTFS5 file system. you can recover deleted files and folders even after recycle bin deletion. Restores data if your drive is accidentally formatted. software support all types of HDD including ATA, SATA, IDE and EIDE disk drive.

• Mobile Phone Sim Card SMS Recovery said:

Mobile sim card data recovery software used to restoring accidentally deleted data restore accidentally deleted text SMS messages contact numbers. Sim Card Recovery Software is compatible with all Windows based operating system such as windows XP Win 2000, Windows ME and Window Vista. Software fetches all data that is accidentally erased from your mobile phone simcard. Sim card phonebook recovery program Sim card reader recover inbox outbox deleted SMS and phone book contact numbers. Easy-to-use wizard-style interface and does not require any technical skill to operate it. SIM Card Data Recovery Tool restore accidentally deleted text SMS with ease to install and operate. Sim card data recovery application provides full back up of your mobile phone sim card memory or user can take bacup of deleted sms data. It fetches the data that are accidentally erased from mobile phone sim card.

• Yahoo Messenger Archive Recovery said:

Ym messenger archive recovery software supports Windows Operating system such as Windows XP, 2003, 2000, ME, NT, 98 and Vista. Software decodes all your private messages like instant messages, conferences and mobile SMS and Supports multi language chat archive recovery. If you forgot your yahoo messenger password but something important is in the archive .dat files like telephone number, business contact, email address then this software is very helpful for you to recover chat data. You can read secretly other persons chat conversation or SMS such as your kids, your spouse, your employee, your wife. Software installation procedure is very very simple. software has very easy-to-use interface and , no extra technical skills are required for operations. It is very useful program that allows user to save others chat conversations in a text format without knowing their password. You can find out the TRUTH about what your employees, kids, wife, husband doing on computer system and track their yahoo chat when you are not present at office or home. User can import any external yahoo archive file and decode it when file is not in yahoo directory.

• Yahoo Messenger Chat Recovery Software said:

Yahoo messenger chat recovery program recover and restore all yahoo chat archive messages from perversely saved yam .dat files without login to yahoo account. Yahoo message archive decoder decrypt all yahoo chat conversations messages. software supports all versions of Windows Operating system like Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 98 and Windows Vista. You can retrieve and view not only yours but others yahoo chats history also. User can decode and restore chat messages fro .dat files when when file is not in yahoo directory using import button. ym chat decoder can read any Yahoo .dat log files, even without being online, being logged in the yahoo account, or even without knowing the password. No internet connection is required while using the software or user can decode all yahoo archive .dat files without login. Software recovers thousands of conversations and restore chat history from .dat files stored on your computer. Yahoo chat .dat reader tool recover, retrieve and decrypt, decode yahoo chat. Download Free demo version of Yahoo messenger archive recovery software from our website and see the preview of recover or decoded chat conversation messages. Yahoo messenger archive decoder allows decoding of yahoo chat archive files.

• Disk Utility Software said:

Data eraser software permanently delete temporary files folders tool internet history address bar URL records from hard disk removable media. Data erasure is a method of software-based overwriting that completely destroys all electronic data residing on a hard disk drive or other digital media including Hard Disk, Pen Drive Digital cameras, removal medias. Data wiping utility also provides multiple overwrites so that it supports recognized government and industry standards. It can permanently wipes deleted mails, chat conversation, passwords and other internet sensitive data from windows hard drive USB. It Support all Windows operating system including Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000. If Data wiper does not occur when a disk is retired or lost, an organization, colleges, universities or user faces that possibility that data will be stolen and compromised, leading to identity theft, loss of corporate reputation, threats to regulatory compliance and financial impacts.

• DB Converter MYSQL MsSQL said:

MSSQL to MySQL is a program to convert Microsoft SQL databases to MySQL server. Software convert individual tables and support all MS SQL data types and attributes. Aplication overwrite converted database into existing database or save converted database at new database.

• Database Migration Software said:

MySQL to MSSQL database converter software efficiently and accurately converts MySQL to MSSQL database server records. User can convert selected database table’s record or complete MySQL database records. Software supports all data types and indexes, null value, default value, primary key, unique key and maintains database integrity after data base conversion.

• Word File Repair said:

Word File Repair Software repairs corrupted damaged or unopenable Microsoft Word 2003, XP, Word 2000, Word 97, MS Word 95 document files. It can recover fix word files, repair corrupt word documents and recover text from a Microsoft word document. Tool repair corruption restores headers, extract contents and pictures from corrupt doc document files. Professional MS Word Document (.doc) Repair Software repair restore corrupt word document files. Word repair software supports multiple word document files (.doc files) and successfully restore corrupt damaged word document files in original format. When repair process is done user can see repaired data preview. There is no requirement of any specific technical skills to repair the corrected word .doc document files. Software supports Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP, Windows VISTA operating system. Advanced professional word file recovery software has very interactive easy-to-use Graphical User Interface. Home Users, Technical Users, Administrators can easily install and uninstall software.

• Corrupt Excel File Repair Software said:

Corrupt Excel File Repair Software repairs corrupt Microsoft Excel documents, Restore Corrupt Excel Files and supported all versions of Microsoft Excel such as Excel 97, MS Excel 2003, Excel XP, Excel 2000, and Excel 95. Program restores information from corrupted and unreadable Microsoft Excel files. It allows you to repair multiple files. Software quickly scan all damage excel file and restore all xls files. Excel file repair software effectively repair excel files corrupted due to virus attacks. You can repair files easily and quickly. Software is easy to use and can be operated by both technical and non-technical users. Software is useful when Excel files shows errors like unable to read file and document is corrupt and cannot be opened. Excel Repair Tool is compatible with Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003, Windows Vista.

• PowerPoint File Repair said:

PowerPoint File Repair Tool repairs corrupt or damaged MS PowerPoint files its complete solution for the corrupt PowerPoint file (.ppt). Software supports MS PowerPoint 2003, MS PowerPoint XP, MS PowerPoint 2000, MS PowerPoint 97 presentation versions of Microsoft PowerPoint. PPT file repair software repairs .ppt extension files that are corrupt due to virus attacks, sudden system shutdown, and software corruption or for some human errors. software restores ppt files in a readable format. No technical knowledge required for the repair of your PowerPoint presentation files data. Utility extracts the information from the corrupt file and saves it into a new file. PowerPoint presentation repair software scans and repairs the corrupt PowerPoint presentation file.

• Access File Repair said:

Access Files repair software MDB Repair Tool Access Repair Utility scan the corrupt mdb or damaged access database files and repairs the data. Access database repair software support Microsoft Access 97, 2000, XP, 2003. Software can easily restore corrupt or damages .mdb file which is not open and corrupted due to virus attacks, accidental shutdown. Software support all Microsoft Windows operating System like Windows 95, Windows 97, Windows 2000, Windows 2002 and Windows XP and home users, database administrators, computer professionals easily repair corrupt access database.

• Deleted Emails Recovery software said:

Deleted Emails Recovery Tool allows user to recovers accidentally deleted messages or emails that have been emptied from the “Deleted Items” folder in Outlook Express. Email recovery software is designed for recovering accidentally deleted, permanently deleted Outlook Express e-mail messages from any .dbx files. Email recovery software recovers deleted emails and restores e-mails contacts addresses from .dbx files. Software works smoothly on Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista. The Demo version of deleted emails restore software recover data for outlook express .dbx files and show the preview only 5 emails. Please using our demo version software before deciding to purchase the full Version of the Software. Users can easily restores all deleted email from DBX file. Software does not require any technical skill to operate its features and its easy to use and provides best user friendly graphical user interface (GUI).

• J said:

I’d like to read your list, but what with the scripts, the eye-mesmerizing ads, and making the list spread over EIGHT pages, I’ll think I’ll pass.

• Jacob Johnson said:

i am only using free virus scanners like avast and avira but they seem to be great tools though,;:

• keylogger free download said:

Keylogger key logging spy software block filter unwanted URLs web recording web logger internet logger.

• one tree hill season 8 said:

Great post thanks for the nice share, keep up the hard work!

• Windows XP Drivers said:

Kudos for a nice discussion! This is absolutely a useful article!

• Surge Protectors %0A said:

LED TVs have much better contrast and color compared to traditional LCDs `’*

• Muqeet Soomro said:

vGreat post thanks for the nice share, keep up the hard work!

• Muqeet Soomro said:

Awesome and great post thanks

• Hafiz said:

Nice share Sir , thanks

• EL PLN DE LA WEB 2.0 (juandon) « juandon. Innovación y conocimiento said:

[…] 51 Essential Programs For A Freeware Only PC | Freeware Mission […]

• Adam said:

no VLC player?

• NCPete said:

WOW! Thank you for this list. Just found a Dell laptop in a dumpster, fully charged but with blue screen. But I’m typing on it to you now! I’m a total noob at this, but I’m trying to run it entirely on freeware except the OS(XP) and I happened to have an extra install on a Norton disk). I’m concerned some of the downloads you recommend might create conflicts with similar devices I’ve already installed in my eagerness. Any advice?

BTW I’ve found http://www.devicedoctor.com/ to be an invaluable resource for finding and updating almost any driver.

• maisarah said:

any video & audio converter is just an awesome freeware, love it

• Top 10 Freeware Programs I Couldn't Live Without | Freeware Mission said:

[…] I was thinking about how many freeware programs I have installed in my PC, after the first batch of 51 free programs and the second one of 72 programs installed in the Freeware Mission. I have over 80 freeware […]

• 72 Programs For A Freeware Only PC | Freeware Mission said:

[…] is my gift for you, with the best wishes for a Happy New Year. Many of you read and commented on my 51 Essential Programs For A Freeware Only PC post, many of you downloaded the Freeware Mission Megapack. Well, I’m trying to get the whole […]

• wp autoblog said:

Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest
    authoring a blog article or vice-versa? My site addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly
    benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to send me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!

• http://tinyurl.com/garsmason55718 said:

It seems you truly fully understand a good deal about this particular issue and it exhibits via this unique blog, labeled “51 Essential
    Programs For A Freeware Only PC | Freeware Mission”.

• http://tinyurl.com/sporlunn42328 said:

“51 Essential Programs For A Freeware Only PC | Freeware Mission” genuinely
    got me hooked with ur internet page! I personallywill be returning a whole lot
    more frequently. Many thanks ,Patty