Home » audio tools, video tools

Freeware Mission – Best Free Media Players

by James 28 November 2008 20 Comments

The Freeware Mission continues! Today I’m going to tell you which are the Best Free Media Players (video and audio). The choice was quite simple, because I was using those freeware programs for a long time now.

Video Player

Yes, it’s GOM Player, in my opinion the best and most complete media player out there. I reviewed it a while ago, and I still think it’s the best option. Here’s a quick recap of the features:
– Codec Finder
– Plays broken files
– Powerful Subtitle Support
– Plays almost any video file format
– Screen Capture
– and a lot more

You can download GOM Player from here, it’s free!

Gretech Corp.

2.1.9.3754

Audio Player

The audio player that I’ve been using for a few years now is… Quintessential Player (QCD). Why do I like it? It’s lightweight and highly customizable (there are a lot of skins and plug-ins that you can use), it can rip audio CDs, and it supports virtually any type of audio file you can think of:
• MP1
• WAV
• MP3 streaming
• MP2
• CD audio
• WMA streaming
• MP3
• CD digital audio
• M1V, M2V
• AVI, ASF
• WMA, WMV (Windows Media Audio)
• Standard playlist files (PLS and M3U)
• Ogg Vorbis (an open source compression algorithm similar to MP3)
With the addition of input plug-ins QCD can also support formats such as:
• AAC
• MIDI
• MPEG Plus (MPC, MP+, MPP)
• FLAC
• Monkey’s Audio (APE, MAC)
• Speex
• Modules (MOD, S3M, XM, IT)
• MP4
• VQF
• WavePack
• Windows Media

You can download Quintessential Player from here, it’s free!

Quinware

4.51

The Freeware Mission will continue, stay tuned for more!

• Caretaker said:

For who prefer a more "fully" audioplayer, on windows nothing for now is better than atunes (http://www.atunes.org).

As so much functions that other player have not (a real media library, lyrics & cover autodownload, LastFM support, ecc.).

@caretaker
    Thanks for the suggestion, I admit that aTunes looks quite promising. I didn’t know it but I curious to test it 😉

• John Craven said:

foobar2k is the superior audio player…

• USGroup1 said:

The best audio player by far is KMPlayer.

• Fritura said:

I’ve tried tons of players but like usgroup1 said before: KMPlayer is by far the best player.
    Many options and plays all mediafiles.

Anyway thumbs up for this great site.

• N008D35TR0Y3R said:

Many options and plays all mediafiles.

Anyway thumbs up for this great site.

i second that.
    i have been using kmplayer for a while, and now i am even video capturing with it, and watching tv using my old tv tuner, …and yes it has all capabilites 4 watching dvb-t and analog tv 🙂

I’ll add KMPlayer to the “to be tested” list. Thanks for your input.

• paloja@netti.fi said:

How about media monkey, it superior file handling, renaming and taggin is very good. And for ipod users I prefer media monkey much better than itunes, only that if you use a lot of video and games with your ipod, then you’ll have to use itunes…

@Paloja
    I agree, Media Monkey is a good program and I’ve been using it a year or two ago. But since I don’t mind tagging and such stuff I prefer QCD.

• ela said:

Hi! by far i have found VLC media player (Videolan) to be my fave media player- it plays anything i throw at it and open source too!
    Happy Birthday freeware mission! Keep up the good work for all of us!

@ Ela
    Thanks for your kind words and for sharing your view.

• VwG said:

I use four players which are the best in my opinion: Media Monkey, Media Jukebox, Quintessential Media Player, and finally, Jet Audio. Jajuk and Spider Player follow closely behind and round out the total listening experience.

@VwG
    I guess you’re quite passionate about music, right? 🙂

• fritura said:

Hi, Johnny K

Did you test The KMPlayer already like you mentoined on October 19th last year?
    You should, it’s by far still the best Mediaplayer.

@fritura
    I have installed KMPlayer, it’s still installed on my PC and I tried it a few times. It looks good, nice interface, but I have to find some spare time to dedicate more to testing it and to see if it really is the best or not. There’s another program that impressed me more so far, it’s called SMPlayer, open source.

• Orthodox said:

I’ve tried about 10 of them (and liked BSPlayer and KMPlayer most), but my search finished since I found jetAudio (the Basic version is free). It has superior sound and video quality (crystal-clear sound, as they say), lots of built-in codecs, a great set of features, a media library; it supports all formats of subtitles (including non-English fonts), and, last but not least, has a wide variety of skins to choose from.

In a few words, jetAudio Basic is a powerful media center that’s way ahead of most other software of it’s class. Just try it and you’ll love it! 🙂

• Arrinao said:

I hope to see something will go on on this site… I’m curious now which player to use because ,my winamp broke down for strange reason and KMplayer does not have a good media library, or at least not working properly… Try it all and tell us.

• Arun said:

Aimp2 all the way.. With tabbed playlists (the highlight) and lots more features its a real winner.
    Had used Quintessential, winamp and others but nothing else since seeing Aimp. You can use winamp plugins on it too…
    Try it!

• 72 Programs For A Freeware Only PC « streetvisuals said:

[…] GOM Player – The best video player in my opinion, supports almost any video file format and subtitles, solid and nice looking. […]

• 94 Great Freeware Programs For A Freeware Only PC | Freeware Mission said: