Home » video tools

Freeware Mission – Best Free DVD Authoring Tool

by James 4 December 2012 11 Comments

Yep, the Freeware Mission continues. I did some thinking today and a quick inventory of the programs that I still need for my computer, and it turns out that the Freeware Mission will have at least another 25 episodes! I’m quite happy about it so far, and I’m looking forward to discovery new interesting freeware programs. Now it’s time to pick a free DVD Authoring Tool, I need one for making DVD-Video out of some of the 2500 films in my collection (those that are stored as mpeg files).

So, I need something free, reliable and quite simple, I don’t like fancy menus and stuff like that for my DVDs. I just need a program that can make the vob files and the DVD-Video structure. After testing a few freeware applications the final choice was between DVD Flick and DVDStyler, both of them quite good free DVD Authoring Tools.

The freeware program that I’m going to keep is… DVDStyler, mostly because it has a better interface and better functionality than DVD Flick. Selecting the video file that you want to make a DVD of is as simple as it can be: drag it from the explorer window and drop it into the DVDStyler window. After that, everything is simple enough.

screenshot
screenshot
screenshot
You can make DVD-Video out of Mpeg files and the output can be either PAL or NTSC. You also have the possibility to play around with the menus, even by adding audio to them.

You can download DVDStyler from here, it’s free!

Windows All, Linux

Alex Thuering

1.6.2

Keep following the Freeware Mission, there will be lots of interesting freeware programs here over the next few weeks!

• Washington said:

DVDStyler is great, but it doesn’t support subtitles, I guess. I’ve asked on the forum, but had no responses. 🙁

@Washington
    There is something quite odd about the subtitles support in DVD Styler. According to their website since version 1.5 beta 3 you can add subtitles. The latest versions don’t have any subtitles support. I guess this is the program’s main flaw.

• Galo Villarán said:

Best Free DVD Authoring Tool

From where to download?

The link is in the post too 😉

• Clydo said:

Very cool thank you!!!

• Ken Cee said:

This program works on 25% of the time. The other 75% it says process failed with no explanation. It’s great when it works though

• czar said:

Ken,

What OS are you running it on?

• vlad said:

I like dvd flick better purely because there are more options for video formats supported. I couldn’t get dvd styler to do h264

• Ali said:

I had used DVDFlick recently..it took way too much time for encodig..& finally ended up giving an error. so can ne1 tell me whether DVDStyler is FASTER & more RELIABLE than DVDFlick..??

• Leo Mailhotte said:

Hi
    I am a new user of DVD Styler
    I tried creating a DVD using DVD Styler
    I t wouldn’t accept my avi files
    Do I have to convert them to another format to use DVD Styler?
    I am fairly new to this and would appreciate any help I can get.
    Leo

• 72 Programs For A Freeware Only PC | Freeware Mission said:

[…] DVD Styler – Free DVD authoring tool, supports PAL and NTSC. Very easy to use, just drag and drop an mpeg file and make your video DVD. You can also make decent menus with it, even with audio. It also has a Linux version. […]