Home » photo and graphics

Convert .CDR files with IrfanView

by James 22 November 2008 20 Comments

Yesterday I received a .CDR file that I needed to import into a video editing application. But the program didn’t support .CDR files (as far as I know .CDR is a Corel Draw proprietary format). So I needed to convert the file into something else, like .jpg, .png, .bmp or even .tga After hours of searching I found IrfanView, a freeware program that I used before as a photo viewer, and that promises to solve my problem. Let’s see if it does.

Well, first of all, let’s see if it even opens the damn .CDR file.

It did open it, and now just go to “File > Save as” and try to save it as a useful format.

You can choose from various formats, I chose .jpg and the job was done. A good thing is that you can even tweak the settings for your future .jpg file.

I wondered how many other file formats does this freeware support. Well, the list is overwhelming, just take a look here, almost anything you might need. So, if you need to convert a .CDR file to .JPG, IrfanView is the way to go! The latest version of the program is 4.10 and you can download it from here, it’s free!

• Adam said:

Hi Johnny, I use Irfanview all the time. One of my all time fav freeware on the net.

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

• mailtomulder@gmail.com said:

Wow, I didn’t know that IVIew could do this, thanks!

I was able to open the .CDR file but wasn’t able to read the text, all I could see was some colored jargon! Am I missing something? I installed the Iview plugins also but no luck.

@mulder
    I just installed the plain IrfanView and it opened the .cdr file I needed. Then I saved it as a .jpg and that was it. I never had the problem you had while opening a .cdr file with IrfanView. Could you send me the file via email so I could try to open it and see how it goes?

• mailtomulder@gmail.com said:

Thanks Johnny, have sent the file to you.

@mulder
    I tried to open the file but it seems the resolution is too low, the picture is unusable. I’ve opened several CDR files with no problem whatsoever. I’m sorry, it seems that I can’t help you. I suggest you open it with Corel Draw and see if there’s anything wrong.

• Pavel said:

Hi. InfranView opens .cdr files only in preview format. And saves it in the same dimensions as a preview. So if you have, for example, architectural drawing, you won’t be able to recognize anything after convertation. Am i right?

@Pavel
    Hey Pavel, I think you are right. I uninstalled IrfanView a few months ago, so I can’t really check, but I think there is a better freeware solution for .CDR files. You will need 2 programs – UniConvertor – to convert the .CDR file to .SVG for instance and InkScape if you want to edit the file further.

• frenk said:

Irfanview open only the thumb image (96×96 pixels) not the CDR !

• Abhishek Dilliwal said:

thanks i was not knowing Irfan view can do such things too and i was banging my head to find an application to do the same… thanks a lot :)

• Frankie said:

You can try this service to convert CorelDRAW files: http://cdr.altesign.com

• Timmy said:

Try Konvertor, with the correct plugin it will convert the CDR format (and 2400+ other formats)

• clueless said:

Hi I am in need of a software or anything that will convert a .jpg or .png file to a .cdr file

Is that possible and how is that done? I have very little knowledge on using software like these. please please please help!

thanks

• bobsobol said:

The problem is that Irfanview doesn’t *really* support CDR files. It can’t open anything I normally receive, and what it can read, it just makes a bitmap thumbnail for… when I could really do with a PS, AI or SVG file. (a PDF would do)

The whole point is that it’s a scalable vector format, which should not degrade or pixelate no matter how much you zoom in to it. So a thumbnail (usually with the wrong colours, and often just a no-entry sign) really isn’t any good for much. You could take the jpg or gif thrumnail from the site you downloaded it from, and it would be better quality. :(

• jino said:

While opening .cdr file in irfanview i am getting the below error message.

“can’t find file header

unknown file format or file not found

(for unicode file names please activate the Unicode plugin in ‘Properties->Languages’)

Please give me one solution. I want to convert .cdr to .jpeg

• khalil said:

really nice program

• GZ said:

This is a blatant lie. Irfanview cannot open CDR files!!!

• HP La said:

The problem is that Irfanview doesn’t support CDR files. It can’t open them

• dr irfan rana grand Saline said:

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing
    your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

• Best Free Image Viewer | Freeware Mission said:

[...] IrfanView! I’ve been using it for a while and I’m very happy with the way it works. The thing [...]

• Philip Brookes said:

I haven’t tried doing this, but even if it can the issue is that the image doesn’t remain in a vector format – Irfan view only saves in Raster formats, which is not much help for a designer.

Powered by sweet Captcha