Home » video tools

TS Converter 2.5 – Convert .ts Files for Free

by James 4 December 2012 15 Comments

I was telling you the other day about Alt-DVB,  free satellite TV software. Recording files with Alt-DVB gives you .ts (transport stream) output files. But let’s say you want to convert your recordings. One way to do it is with Auto GK, also reviewed here a week ago. Another free option is TS Converter.

The supported output formats for TS Converter are .TS, .MPG, .DVR-MS, .MPV + .MPA. You might wonder why one would convert the .ts to .ts. Well, this little program has an editing function, where you can select what you want to keep from your recording and export that as a new file. The conversion to .mpg is a little tricky, because you will need a third party mpg demultiplexer. But the DVR-MS (Windows Media format) conversion runs smoothly.

And the whole process is simple and fast:
1. Launch tsconverter.exe
2. Load the .TS, .TP, .MPG or .DVR-MS file you want to convert
3. Optional for .TS, .TP: Select mark in and mark out point to make A-B cuts
4. Select “Start Conversion…” from the Control menu

The conversion is very fast. The info panel informs about the progress and
the estimated time. Now you might wonder what to do with the DVR-MS file. Well, being a native Windows format, DVR-MS is ideal for watching (Media Center Edition and Windows Media Player), streaming (XBox, Windows Media Connect) and encoding (Windows Media Encoding) up to high definition in 720p/1080p and 5.1 audio.

Let’s recap the main features:
– Convert ATSC/DVB, DVD and DVR-MS formats for use in Media Center and Media Player
– Support for NTSC, PAL, ATSC, AVC, H.264 and HDTV streams
– Support for MPEG1/MPEG2, H.264 and AC3 audio tracks
– Support for anamorphic streams
– Support for HDTV mux rates
– Very short conversion times
– Maintenance of stream times
– Automatic and threaded indexing
– Trick play in MCE
– Features an A-B scene cutter for TS streams
– Support for Drag-&-Drop
– Features a command line interface (run tsconverter /h)
– Features an automation interface

There you go, another piece of useful freeware, download it from here. It’s free!

I have recorded a TV-show using DVB-Viewer (which works perfectly..)as a TS-file. Now converting this to a MPEG, DVD-MS or other video file that can be processed in Windows Movie Maker or similar, leaves out DVB-subtitles that were recorded in the original TS-file. How do I get these included in the converted file so I can burn the show to a DVD disc inclusive of the subtitles?

As far as I know the only program that can process the subtitles in your recorded TS file is Project X, DVB demux tool
    If the program can see the subtitle stream you can then save them as .srt or other subtitle file format. Hope this information is helpful.

• WW said:

Hi, hope you could help. I used DVBViewer to record free to air HDTV (the 2008 Olympic Opening) and I came up with a large crystal clear 34Gb ts file that plays well by Windows Media Player and DVBViwer itself. Friends without HD facilities have asked me for a DVD – and I’m trying to convert/downscale the ts file to a format that I could burn it on to a double-layer DVD which could simplied be played by most home DVD. Which is the best/most simple and quick shot for me? Many thanks for any help.

@ww
    I never recorded HD content, so the suggestions I give you are not based on any tests, but just on theory or maybe even less. From what I understand you want a DVD (vob files) not an avi or mkv. You could try directly with a DVD authoring program like DVD Styler but you won’t have many compression options. I would suggest making an mpg file out of it with Format Factory or Media Coder and after that use it with a DVD authoring program. That’s all I can think of right now, please tell me if any of these solutions worked. If not, maybe I could think of something else. Cheers. Ah, I forgot, you could also try Project X, it’s kinda complicated but it’s the best DVB demux tool available.

• william said:

I am not sure what you mean by “dvd format”. If you are looking for an and mpeg-2 file select Output MPG from the control menu. If you what to author a dvd with menus etc. look for a tool called dvdauthor. It can multiplex to 2048 byte sectors as needed for dvd authoring.
    ———————-
    williamgeorge
    portal

• nader said:

thanx

• tut said:

thankos

• ahmad baba said:

thats a good program

• Bully said:

i’ve installed the app OK but if i open a .ts file none of the device controls works. The slider, mark in, and mark out – nothing works, although the video does play.

• ragab said:

nice program as i need it

• medo said:

nice nice

• sessic said:

Basic and advanced video edit functions prepared for not only novices but also professionals, adjust video playing region to fit

your need, merge http://www.emicsoft.com/amv-converter.html multiple files into a single one, adjust video

brightness, contrast and saturation to get best effect, add watermark at ease, etc.
    1. Click “Add Files” to load videos you want to convert.
    2. You can edit the added movide by clicking “Effect” “Trim” or “Crop” button.
    3. Select output in Profile option. Here all formats and devices are supported. Make sure the destination folder.
    4. Click “Start” button to convert movies.

• DVDSoft said:

This tool seems cool, thanks for shaing. itunes to dvd

• marcy said:

hi! can this free software convert TS files to avi?

• james said:

Completely I share your opinion. I am interesting something that is free.
    dvd to ipad converter.