Home » Uncategorized

GOM Media Player – Best Free Media Player

by James 22 November 2008 12 Comments

I’ve tried lots of media players, from BsPlayer to VLC and Windows Media Player. All of these have nice features but they have also annoying flaws. GOM Media Player has been a revelation for me: I’m still trying to find a media file format that this freeware can’t play! It even plays .ts files!

GOM Media Player has reached version 2.1.9.3753. If you have an older version just open the player and hit the F1 key, you’ll be downloading the latest version in no time. Some of the players I’ve used don’t offer the possibility to tweak everything you’d want. GOM Player lets you tweak your heart out: video adjustments, audio, subtitles.

The list of nice features in this freeware is impressive:
– It includes many codecs (XviD, DivX, FLV1, AC3, OGG, MP4, H263 and more) so you won’t need to install separate codecs for most videos. For those videos that require a separate codec, GOM Player will find one and direct you to a place where you can download open source version of the codec. That way, you won’t get stuck with unnecessary codecs on your system.
It plays broken AVI files
– It supports SMI, SRT, RT, SUB(with IDX) files for subtitle. You can specify margin, location, size, resolution, font and others. You can also enable shadow, view ASF files with subtitle, karaoke subtitle mode. You can even synchronize subtitle and video if there’s any mismatch.
It supports probably any time of media file format you can think of
– You can capture screenshots from the movie you play, up to 999 successive frames!
Fast forward/rewind a few seconds using left/right keys.

And there are more features, it’s simply overwhelming. I don’t say “this is the best” too often. But this piece of software really convinced me: it’s the best free media player. You can download it from here, it’s free!

• Dorin Vieru said:

What about The KMplayer?

What about it?

• poopkapi said:

kmplayer > gomplayer
    by far.

@poopkapi
    I’m testing KMplayer now and I can say that I might agree with you. Maybe it isn’t way better that GOM, but it seems to be slightly better.

• Ela said:

Hi! thanks for sending your latest newsletter- i’ve been using 4 or 5 of the best freeware and they are great!
    by the way, would you have a list of best freeware for the iMac?
    thanks and more power to you!

@Ela
    Thanks for your kind comment. I don’t own an iMac so it would be difficult to test freeware programs for this platform.

• rono said:

I have tried gom plyer but it has some lacks of embedded codec.So i switch to sm player.It is the mother of all video player.I hope you will test it & use it.

@Rono
    I never tried SM Player but after looking at the features list it looks quite impressive. I’ll install and test it soon, thanks for the recommendation.

• zeldafan678 said:

You know I am surprised that no one mentioned winamp. I use it and love it to death. http://www.winamp.com

• rono said:

Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz use the mpcstar player you will love it to death.

• rono said:

I have tried to play mp4 file with gom player but iplays the video without hte audio.would you plz help me to get rid of this problem.

• Top 10 Freeware Programs I Couldn't Live Without | Freeware Mission said:

[…] 5.  GOM Media Player – Next up, video files. I guess you play a few video files every day too, so a video player is a must have program in any PC. My favorite is GOM Player – it can handle various file types and subtitles too. […]